Drive for show...?
It’s frequently said with varying degrees of credibility, “Drive for show, putt for dough,” a remark which it’s said first came from the lips of Bobby Locke who was one of the best-ever putters.
But now we’re being advised that in the case of the professional game this no longer applies but I for one believe this is not the case for average golfers.
By the numbers
David Dusek heads his post, “By the numbers: Putt for dough? Stats show something different” and refers to the work of Mark Broadie, an economics professor at Columbia University who introduced the concept of strokes gained in his 2014.
David writes, Broadie referenced a stat in his book called putting’s contribution to victory (PCV), defining it as the winner’s strokes gained: putting divided by his strokes gained: total. He noted that from 2004 to 2012, PGA Tour winners had an average score that was 3.7 shots better, per round, than the field and had a strokes gained: putting advantage of 1.3. That means only 35 percent of the average PGA Tour winner’s edge over the field came from putting, and the remaining 65 percent came from tee shots, approach shots and short game shots.
Data defeats the cliché, 5 and 4”
Links to Andrew Wright and David Dusek
Quote of the Day
“I’m honestly sick of coming back over to the European Tour and shooting 15-under-par and finishing 30th. I don’t think the courses are set up hard enough. There’s no penalties for bad [Tee] shots" - Rory McIlroy
GOLFERS AUTHORITY A recommended site for reviews, buying guides and tips to improve your game.